1. Responsibility for Safety procedures should be that of an adult member of Littleton Youth Baseball and Softball.
2. Arrangements should be made in advance of all games and practices for emergency medical services.
3. It is recommended that coaches and umpires should have some level of first-aid training. All new coaches MUST attend the annual LYBS Safety Clinic. At least one member of the coaching staffs of every team in the league must also attend the safety clinic.
4. First-aid kits are issued to each coach or are located by contacting the Equipment Coordinator.
5. Prior to practices and games, play areas should be inspected for holes, damage, stones, glass and other foreign objects. If unsafe conditions cannot be eliminated immediately, contact the Field Coordinator and/or Safety Coordinator.
6. No games or practices should be held when weather or field conditions are not good, particularly when lighting is inadequate.
7. Equipment should be inspected regularly (prior to a practice or game) by a team coach for the condition of the equipment as well as for proper fit.
8. Coaches should encourage all male players to wear protective cups and supporters and female players to wear protective pads for practices and games.
9. Parents of players who wear glasses should be encouraged to provide "safety glasses"
10. It is recommended that safety gloves (if available) be worn for addressing open wounds and where blood is present.
11. A master safety kit (containing additional band-aids and other frequently used items) should be available in each equipment shed. It is recommended that players and coaches bring water bottles to practices, especially on hot days, to avoid the risk of dehydration and heat exhaustion.
Additional Safety Guidelines for Games/Practices
1) On-deck batters are not permitted.
2) All team equipment should be stored within the team dugouts, or behind screens, and not within the area defined by the umpires as "in play.”
3) Only players, coaches, and umpires are permitted on the playing field or in the dugouts during games and practice sessions.
4) Responsibility for keeping bats and loose equipment off the field of play should be that of a team coach or designated adult.
5) Procedures should be established for retrieving foul balls batted out of playing area.
6) During practice and games, all players should be alert and watching the batter on each pitch.
7) During warm-up drills players should be spaced so that no one is endangered by wild throws or missed catches.
8) Batters must wear Littleton Youth Baseball / Softball League approved protective helmets during batting practice and games.
9) Catcher must wear catcher's helmet, mask, throat guard, long model chest protector, shin guards and protective cup with athletic supporter at all times (males) for all practices and games. NO EXCEPTIONS.
10) During sliding practice, bases should not be strapped down or anchored.
11) At no time should "horse play" be permitted on the playing field
12) Players must not wear watches, rings, pins, or metallic items during games and practices.
13) The Catcher must wear catcher's helmet and mask (preferably with a throat guard) in warming up pitchers. This applies between innings and in the bull-pen during a game and also during practices.
14) All pre-game warm ups should be performed within the confines of the playing field and not within areas that are frequented by, and thus, endanger spectators (i.e., playing catch, pepper, swinging bats, etc.).
15) Pitching screens should be used at all times during Rookie League games when the pitching machine is in effect.
16) Only Assistant Coaches or delegated adults should run and feed pitching machines.
17) Only Assistant Coaches or delegated adults should back up catchers to retrieve passed balls.
18) Coaches should encourage players to only use equipment that is appropriate for the player’s skill, age and position.
19) For Babe Ruth teams only: Players bringing their own bats to practices and games must make sure they are Babe Ruth approved and are of appropriate weight and size in accordance to Babe Ruth Regulations.